Why the name ‘Bamboo’?
“It sort of just came out, after months of figuring out a name.” — Bamboo M.
According to Wikipedia, Bamboo is a Filipino alternative rock band founded in 2002 by the former vocalist of Rivermaya, Bamboo Mañalac.
Four years after Bamboo Manalac and Nathan Azarcon’s departure from Rivermaya, Mañalac and Azarcon caught up again with each other, where Azarcon introduced him to Ira Cruz and Vic Mercado who were then members of Pop Ballad band Passage. Bamboo released their debut album As the Music Plays in February 2004 where it got positive response from fans and critics alike. The album also won numerous awards at AWIT Awards, NU107 Rock Awards, and MTV Pilipinas 2004 .. Read more…
Bamboo Mañalac – vocals
Ira Cruz – guitars
Nathan Azarcon – bass
Vic Mercado – drums
- As the Music Plays (February 2004, EMI Philippines)
- Light, Peace, Love (2005, EMI Philippines)
- We Stand Alone Together (February 23, 2007, EMI Philippines)
- Guitarist Ira Cruz is being sponsored by PRS Guitars while drummer Vic Mercado is sponsored by Gretsch Drums.
- Rivermaya released the song “Isang Bandila” for ABS-CBN’s Bandila news program alongside their album “Isang Ugat, Isang Dugo” which contains covers of songs that inspired the band most. Bamboo on the other hand, also released the song “Argos” for ABS-CBN’s Rounin primetime show which was launched after their album “We Stand Alone Together”. The said album also contains covers of songs which the band considered to be closest to their hearts.
- Bamboo and Nathan came from the band Rivermaya
- Ira and Vic came from the band Passage
- Bamboo’s real name is Francisco
Bamboo Official Site
Bamboo Unofficial Site