Sponge Cola Pinoy Banda
Why the name Sponge Cola?
Original name of the group was Sponge after R.S. Surtee’s Mr. Sponge’s Sporting Tour. Later they learned about a Detroit grunge band already using the name Sponge, but according to Yael, their current follower already know their group by that name so they just added ‘Cola’ because the word is the easiest to remember.
Sponge Cola’s Sound
Ysmael “Yael” Yuzon met Reynaldo “Gosh” Dilay through the school’s theater guild sometime in 2002. Some of the members of the old lineup left and were replaced by Christopher “Chris” Cantada and Erwin “Armo” Armovit.
- Yael Yuzon – rhythm guitar, lead vocals
- Gosh Dilay – bass guitar, backup vocals
- Erwin Armovit – lead guitar
- Chris Cantada – drums, backup vocals
- Palabas – 2004
- Transit – 2006
- Yael’s musical influences are Nirvana, Eraserheads, Pearl Jam, Silverchair, Googoo Dolls to name a few.
- Though Yael loves all their songs, during a live performance he’s favorites are ‘Partisan’, ‘Saturn’ and ‘Lunes’.
- Chris’ favorite drummers are Chad Smith, Taylor Hawkins and Jerom Gatmaitan
- Yael was the frontman of a rock band called White Chapel
- Erwin’s birthday is Oct. 3, 1984.. sshhh…
- Gosh’s favorite bassists are Buddy and Nathan