The Dawn Pinoy Banda Page
Why the name The Dawn?
Need Band’s or Fan’s Comment
The Dawn’s Sound
Formed in 1986 by guitarist Teddy Diaz and drummer/keyboardist JB Leonor, The Dawn was at the forefront of the local new wave scene. However, to pigeonhole the band as simply new wave even in those early years would be quite inaccurate. When they released their debut album in 1987 with vocalist Jett Pangan and bassist Carlos Balcells, the local rock scene was treated to an opus that combined elements of new wave, metal, jazz, and prog rock with uncanny ease (this cross-pollination of different genres remains the groups sonic raison detre).
Current line-up (2005)
- Jett Pangan – lead vocals and rhythm guitar
- JB Leonor – drums
- Buddy Zabala – bass guitar, back-up vocals
- Francis Reyes – guitar, back-up vocals
- The Dawn – 1987 OctoArts
- I Stand With You – 1988
- Beyond The Bend – 1989
- The Dawn Live – 1989
- Heart’s Thunder – 1990
- The Dawn (Compilation)
- Iisang Bangka Greatest Hits
- Abot Kamay
- Puno’t Dulo
- The Dawn: OPM Timeless Collection (Gold Series compilation)
- Prodigal Sun
- Tulad ng Dati
- Two of the band’s bass players came in from other legendary Pinoy rock bands; Mon Legaspi from Wolfgang and Buddy Zabala from the Eraserheads.
- The album Prodigal Sun contains a track of a snoring Atsushi Matsuura. This album is also dedicated to the memory of Teddy Diaz.
- The business-minded Carlos Balcells reportedly showed up for an audition for the band’s bass player slot dressed in a business suit.
- Among the many rock bands in the Philippines, only four have been named the greatest: Juan De la Cruz Band (The Godfathers of Pinoy Rock), The Dawn, Eraserheads and Wolfgang. All these groups have since disbanded, but The Dawn has reunited since their breakup in 1995